Monday, March 19, 2018

My Cookbooks

Someone requested a photo of my cookbook collection. I took this photo this morning and there are still some spiral-bound local private press cookbooks that won't fit on this bookcase under the counter in my pantry. I must confess, I don't use most of them with any regularity but I still like having them. Once in a while, I curate them for donating and I need to do this again soon. I have been eating real food with no additives for a couple of months now, following Michael Pollan's advice:
Pollan says everything he's learned about food and health can be summed up in seven words:
"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Read more on his website.

This was yesterday's Instagram photo and I ate the same thing for breakfast this morning. As you all know, I have been making homemade soymilk yogurt in my Instant Pot since before Christmas. I use Westsoy organic unsweetened that comes in a box and is shelved. It contains only two ingredients: whole organic soy beans and filtered water. This breakfast bowl has one peeled kiwi fruit and one clementine as toppings. I have another cup of this delicious yogurt after dinner every night, eaten plain. I could never find a plain commercial yogurt in the past that was delicious enough to eat that way.
This all started when I listened to a segment on NPR with Melissa Clark singing the praises of the Instant Pot with its built-in yogurt setting. Then I got her cookbook, Dinner in an Instant, with recipes. That's where I learned about soymilk with no additives. And the rest is history. I was hooked.
I decided to follow Pollan's advice as well. My immune system has improved greatly and I haven't been sick with a cold or sore throat since October. This is amazing, especially since the flu season was so bad this year. I was beginning to be very concerned with my personal health and was coming down with way too many colds that went to my chest and lingered way too long. They say 90% of your immune system is located in your gut and I am positive the probiotics in the yogurt have helped mine immensely and I have lost some weight as an added bonus.. I am almost afraid to say that last part out loud. Fingers crossed this will continue by eating this way. See you later. xo

9 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I have an intant pot but I have yet to use it! I think i will try the yogurt first and then look up your cookbook suggestion.

Joanne S said...

Thank you for this post. I wrote Pollen's words down and will tape them to my fridge door.
I happen to love eating mostly plants. I am allergic to soy so cannot eat tofu or soy milk products
but I think an Instant Pot would be wonderful for those who can tolerate soy.

Be healthy and happy!!

Content in a Cottage said...

Elizabeth...
PinecosesandAcorns -- I will post the directions. I have honed it down to a science and I cannot tell you how much it has helped me having an Instant Pot.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Joanne S -- Eating mostly plants helps save our planet too.xo, Rosemary

Mama Pea said...

Probiotics are so very important to good gut health, but unfortunately not many people know this. And where in the standard American diet can you get probiotics? It's something about which you have to be educated and then find a way to introduce them into your diet on a regular basis. As you do! We eat some of the kimchi (fermented veggies) I make each day (1/4 cup is enough) and along with my yogurt and husband's kefir we should be getting our share of the probiotics. I will admit that we're so concerned that we get enough that we also take a probiotic supplement capsule several times a week, too.

Your yogurt, kiwi and clementine creation is as wonderful to look at as it is for your health!

Betty said...

That's a lot of cookbooks! Nice.

Lisa D. said...

I'm looking at your cookbooks and that's quite a collection. I'm wondering if you have, or have ever had, Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and if so, what you think of it. I remember picking it up at a friend's house a number of years ago and I was impressed at how well Julia explained things. I know my late mother had a copy, but it seems to have disappeared. I was never much of a cook, being a single working woman all of my life, but that has changed in the last few years, and I find I spend much of my time planning, shopping and preparing meals, and trying to think of healthy and tasty food without getting burned out. I guess my next purchase will be an insta pot.

To your reader Joanne, you might try either almond mild, rice milk or coconut milk instead of the soy. (Personally my favorite is coconut.)

I'm a big fan of Michael Pollan's, but regrettably have not read any of his books. I did see the documentary film on PBS that was based upon The Botany of Desire, and it was most interesting. It is certainly worth going out of your way to see.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Good Job - and so happy to hear about your good health! Keep it up - whcih Instapot do you have?

Penelope Bianchi said...

Rosemary.......you help save us and our planet! You sow nothing but helpful and joyful news everywhere. Thank God for you and the positive things you spread everywhere!

We are so lucky to have you!!!